What does stanine 9 in reading and comprehension

And 6 in maths mean!

Parent_wizzball, Mar 15, 7:02 pm

I dont even know what a stanine is lol, is it like national standards!

Parent_snoboard, Mar 15, 7:03 pm

what's a stanine! some kind of grading system!

Parent_voidhawkltd, Mar 15, 7:04 pm

I don't know either LOL

Parent_wizzball, Mar 15, 7:04 pm

No idea - never heard of it!

Parent_rotty, Mar 15, 7:05 pm

It means they are WAY above average (top 5% or something) for the country in reading and comprehension, and a little above average in Maths.

Very similar to my daughter and nothing to worry about at all.(People are rarely exceptional in all areas.)

Parent_grphug4, Mar 15, 7:05 pm

Stanine 9 is the top 3% (I thihk) you cant get higher.

Parent_charlieb2, Mar 15, 7:06 pm

That is for their year level.

Parent_grphug4, Mar 15, 7:06 pm

Parent_pommie777, Mar 15, 7:06 pm

Thank you :D. The maths one is excellent - he was really struggling with that at one point.

Parent_wizzball, Mar 15, 7:07 pm

Checked.Its 'well above average top %"

Parent_charlieb2, Mar 15, 7:07 pm

The stanines are where your child fits in a bell shaped curve, 9 meaning they are in the top 4%, 1 means they are really struggling, 5 means they are bang on average.

Parent_rowlf, Mar 15, 7:08 pm

Oh Yay.Great when they catch up and then overtake!

Parent_grphug4, Mar 15, 7:09 pm

Stanines relate to the results from PAT (progress achievement tests) that are given to yr 3 (only one of the tests from memory) and above at primary school. As mentioned, stanine 9 is the top, 5 is 'average', below that and it's pretty self explanatory.

Parent_lyttelton2, Mar 15, 7:13 pm

Top of the curve

Parent_fishing69, Mar 15, 7:13 pm

do we find out the kids test results do you know!thanks

Parent_robyn35, Mar 15, 7:14 pm

mine were always a 9 for reading and comprehension, but a 4 in maths.

Parent_hunnyb1, Mar 15, 7:18 pm

Should do. A diagnostic report usually goes out end of this term or start of next & that has them all on. Don't quote me though, as sometimes the system changes.

Parent_pommie777, Mar 15, 7:27 pm

My son brought his results home today :)

Parent_wizzball, Mar 15, 7:48 pm

I find it weird that you guys are getting reports of stanines without there being some from of stanine graph included with the report.That is supossed to be standard.

Parent_byzantine, Mar 15, 7:51 pm

Yep. my school has an explanation about them on the report they go out on.

Parent_pommie777, Mar 15, 7:57 pm

Means they are overcompensating in English rather than maths. Need maths help.

Parent_fxx99, Mar 15, 8:55 pm

6 is slightly above average, 9 is the top. Basically stanine 5 is the mid point, meaning 50% of children taht age will be above and 50% will be below. Stanines 4-6 are considered "average", 3 and below would be falling behind, and 7-9 would be doing very well.

Parent_pennyo, Mar 15, 8:58 pm

No doesn't need maths help, still above average in maths just not top of the table.

Parent_pennyo, Mar 15, 8:58 pm

I was, but I wasn't actually told until we changed schools and it was in a parent/teacher interview.they had retested everything as weren't sure the previous school had it right.They got the same results again.So it came up not in a report, but in an interview situation.

ETA, the context was that this particular class was especially bright.the teacher was developing a sort of programme as she had a large # of kids that tested very highly, it was unusual apparently to have so many test at that level.She said at the end of the year she was exhausted by it but also enjoyed it, they challenged her.

Parent_fishing69, Mar 15, 9:07 pm

At least in an interview situation you can ask for clarification.Reporting to parents is supposed to be so clear and straight forward so that there are no grey areas.
This MB is proof that its not happening as it should be.

Parent_byzantine, Mar 15, 9:10 pm

Do you know what, stanines have been around for donkey's years, and it is a really hard concept to grasp for some. We give a whole page info sheet on our assessments - parents fall into 4 groups: read and understand; read and don't understand then ask for clarification; read and don't understand then don't ask for clarification, come onto a messageboard and complain; or don't read.

Now I can't speak for any other school other than my own, but it is a big gripe of mine come report time, that I have to explain stanines to parents who didn't even bother to TRY and enlighten themselves by reading the plain-English info sheet we put out, with the graph and examples on it.

Not talking about you wizzball! Just regarding the comment above that is putting all the onus on the schools for parents not understanding.

OP, your child is doing very well! 9 is top 4%, 6 is in the average range (average is stanines 4-6) and should be congratulated for his efforts as you say it was a hard subject for him for a while :)

Parent_emmaj26, Mar 15, 9:28 pm

The word stanine is a contraction of standard nine. Basically imagine a bell shaped curve (Looks like a mountain), it is divided into nine sections 1-9 With 1 being the lowest and 9 being the highest. The majority of the population falls between stanine 4-6With only 4% roughly speaking falling in each of the 1 and 9 categories.

Parent_spydawoman, Mar 15, 9:35 pm

Just to clarify I was NOT given those numbers in a report my son brought the actual tests home for me to look at :) They keep them in a folder for us :)I was also given them when I was barely awake and just didn't have time to look into it before I left for work so thank you all for the help -VERY appreciated :D

Parent_wizzball, Mar 15, 10:02 pm

But WHY are stanines hard to understand! I mean even if you don't get the bell curve thing and the percentages, surely it's pretty easy to understand that is a grading scale from 1 to 9 where 1 is very poor and 9 is very good!

Parent_pennyo, Mar 15, 10:59 pm

You may have to ask.At my school, we use them for diagnostic purposes only (to decide which groups to put students in, and how best to teach them), not for reporting purposes, but we're happy to share the results if parents want them.

Parent_sarahp24, Mar 15, 11:10 pm

Well, they're not hard to me and haven't been since I learned about bell curves in 3rd form. But for some people, they are. I also think if you're not using them regularly, or seeing them in reporting, your knowledge of how they work gets lost too.

Parent_emmaj26, Mar 15, 11:51 pm

I find the things about tests is you need quite a few to build a clear picture due to anomalies. Bright kids can have a bad day. The converse can be true - especially if time plays a factor.

A single test should never be used alone to make a judgement about placement. I was a head of department by the way.

Don't get me started on multiple choice questions.

Parent_gaspodetwd, Mar 16, 7:56 am

Yeah, but then lots of people have poor listening skills, as well.

Parent_fishing69, Mar 16, 8:15 am

They may well have been around for donkeys years, but ONLY used in education and until you have a child at school you may not have heard of them.The first time they used stanines in DS's report there was no explanation at all.I rang a friend who is a teacher for an explanation.A couple of days later all the children brought home a sheet that explained it all.I guess they'd had a lot of queries about it.

Parent_4pc, Mar 16, 10:39 am

Share this thread